From Maties Ubuntu
Definition of Ubuntu
Archbishop Desmond Tutu offered this definition in 2008:
"Ubuntu – the essence of being human. Ubuntu speaks particularly about the fact that you can't exist as a human being in isolation. It speaks about our interconnectedness. You can't be human all by yourself, and when you have this quality – Ubuntu – you are known for your generosity. We think of ourselves far too frequently as just individuals, separated from one another, whereas you are connected and what you do affects the whole World. When you do well, it spreads out; it is for the whole of humanity."
“Free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer.” Free Software Foundation (www.fsf.org)
A brief history of open source software
|1980||Bill Gates rants about software copyrights.|
|1983||Richard Stallman responds with "free" software. The software is free to copy and is also free, as in freedom of thought and speech.|
|1991||Linus Torvalds builds a kernel, which he calls "linux", that enables the "free" software to run on a PC.|
|1993||Ian Murdoch creates the Debian distribution so that there is one place to get the "free" software.|
|1998||Christie Peterson coins the term "Open Source" to give all this a name.|
|2004||Mark Shuttleworth releases Ubuntu based on Debian.|
|2012||Ubuntu releases the Unity user interface on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, designed for desktops, mobiles, tablets, TV and in-vehicle entertainment with the purpose of mass adoption on all computing devices.|
- If you would like to be author on this wiki, please send an e-mail to the SULUG listserv.
- The first version of Ubuntu was released on the 20th October 2004 by Mark Shuttleworth as a fork of Debian.
- Find out how you can help.
- Read about the differences between Linux and the other popular operating system here.
- Watch the software freedom birthday video for more info.
- Go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_free_software for a more formal history account..
Domain Name: UBUNTU.COM Name Server: NS1.CANONICAL.COM Name Server: NS2.CANONICAL.COM Name Server: NS3.CANONICAL.COM Creation Date: 29-may-2004 Expiration Date: 29-may-2014